18 August 2012
Most of the Diamondbacks' 2012 draft picks now have around 30-40 games under their belts. Unlike 2011, when the Diamondbacks had 2 of the first 7 picks (Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley), there are no players from the 2012 draft who are on a fast track to the Majors, but there are several that are off to good starts in the Minors. Let's take a look at how the 2012 draftees are doing so far.
1. Stryker Trahan (18), C (AZL) - 40 G, .289/.440/.481, 4 HR, 24 RBI, 36BB/37K
The Diamondbacks' first round pick has hit well, and most importantly, has stuck at Catcher in the Arizona Rookie League. He has shown great plate discipline, with 36 walks in 39 games, and ranks 7th in the League in OBP. He has hit very well against RHP (.954 OPS), and has held his own against LHP (.882 OPS, despite a .237 AVG). Defensively, he has 10 errors in 32 games, and has thrown out only 12 of 56 basestealers (21%), but the organization still thinks he has a future as a Catcher.
2. Jose Munoz (18), SS (AZL) - 39 G, .245/.317/.338, 2 HR, 17 RBI, 15BB/47K
Munoz got off to slow start, with just a .575 OPS through June and July, but has hit much better in August - .340/.407/.396. Scouts are still unsure if he can stick at SS, and making 21 errors in 37 games is not helping his case.
3. Jake Barrett (20), P (MWL) - 20 IP, 0-2. 4.95 ERA, 19 K/9 BB, 2 HRA
After being drafted in the 3rd Round from Arizona State, Barrett began his pro career in South Bend of the Midwest League. He started off very well, with 0 ER in his first 6 IP, but has allowed 18 Hits and 8 BB in the 14 IP since then. He's getting a lot of ground balls (54%), but needs to cut down on the walks. Barrett has been the closer for the Silver Hawks, and has picked up 6 Saves.
4. Chuck Taylor (18), OF (AZL) - 42 G, .247/.323/.307, 0 HR, 16 RBI, 16BB/44K
The switch-hitting outfielder has shown good speed, with 15 SB in 21 Attempts, good for 6th in the AZL. But Taylor hasn't shown much power yet, with just 8 extra-base hits in 41 Games. He's also averaging over one strikeout per game.
5. Ronnie Freeman (21), C (NWL) - 39 G, .286/.355/.350, 0 HR, 11 RBI, 8BB/20K
Freeman has begun his pro career with Yakima in the Northwest League. He has hit for a good average, and has drawn some walks, but has not hit for power yet. It's a small sample, but Freeman has hit very well against LHP (.346/.414/.385). Defensively, he has thrown out 15 out of 56 basestealers (27%).
6. Jake Lamb (21), 3B (PION) - 52 G, .308/.379/.481, 5 HR, 41 RBI, 20BB/41K
Lamb has hit very well for Missoula, ranking 2nd in the Pioneer League in Doubles and 8th in RBI. He has hit well against both right-handed (.859 OPS) and left-handed pitchers (.837 OPS), and set a team record with 7 RBI in a game against Great Falls.
7. Andrew Velazquez (17), SS (AZL) - 28 G, .318/.409/.500, 1 HR, 18 RBI, 18BB/32K
At age 17, Velazquez is one of the youngest players in the Arizona Rookie League, and has also been one of the league's better hitters. In just 27 games, he has hit 7 Doubles, 5 Triples, and and an inside-the-park homer. Velazquez has been very successful on the bases, stealing 19 bases in 22 tries. Defensively, he's primarily been playing 2B while Munoz plays SS, but he has made 3 starts at SS.
8. Evan Marzilli (21), OF (PIO) - 37 G, .338/.412/.397, 0 HR, 10 RBI, 16BB/27K
After being drafted in the 8th Round from the University of South Carolina, Marzilli has played well for Missoula in the Pioneer League. He has hit for average, drawn walks, and played well defensively in CF. A left-handed batter, he has hit extremely well against LHP so far, getting 21 Hits in his first 38 At Bats (.553 AVG). The only drawback has been his lack of power.
9. Jeff Gibbs (21), SP (NWL/AZL) - 17 IP, 0-3, 13.24 ERA, 2.88 WHIP, 27BB/15K
As in his final year at the University of Maine, Gibbs's control has been a disaster. After walking 5 batters in 1.1 IP for Yakima, Gibbs was sent down to the Arizona Rookie League, where he has walked 22 in 15.2 IP. The only positives are his 15 strikeouts and just 2 HR allowed in 17 IP.
10. Daniel Poma (23), OF (NWL) - 50 G, .232/.327/.294, 2 HR, 21 RBI, 15BB/19K
The 10th Round pick from Hofstra has struggled with Yakima in the Northwest League. He's shown good plate discipline, but hasn't shown any power at all, with just 6 extra base hits in 177 AB.
11. Ben Eckels (18), SP (AZL) - 52.1 IP, 4-3, 4.13 ERA, 1.395 WHIP, 56K/23BB, 1 HRA
Eckels has done some good things in the Rookie League - he's striking out over a batter per inning, he's getting ground balls at a 49% rate, and he's only allowed 1 HR in 9 Starts. But he has walked a few too many batters, and he's given up 50 Hits in 52.1 IP.
12. Alex Glenn (21), OF (AZL/PIO) - 38 G, .244/.352/.444, 5 HR, 26 RBI, 18BB/43K
Glenn was recently promoted from the Rookie League to Missoula in the Pioneer League. He's played all three outfield positions, and has shown some speed (8 SB) and some extra base power (13 XBH in 135 AB).
13. Phildrick Llewellyn (18) C/1B (AZL) - 29 G, .267/.356/.356, 0 HR, 10 RBI, 13BB/31K
Llewellyn has been the backup catcher for the Rookie League team, and has also received 21 starts at 1B. He's done a good job of getting on base, and the switch-hitter has been 11-for-25 (.440) against LHP.
14. Derrick Stultz (23) SP (NWL) - 22.1 IP, 1-1, 3.63 ERA, 1.254 WHIP, 8BB/9K
The 14th Round pick from the University of South Florida has a good ERA and WHIP, but has only struck out 9 batters in 22.1 IP.
15. Blake Forslund (22) RP (NWL) - 26.1 IP, 1-2, 1 Save, 6.49 ERA, 1.823 WHIP, 18BB/21K
Forslund has been used in short relief, and has been giving up too many runs and baserunners.
Others of Note:
18. Kevin Medrano (22) 2B/SS (NWL) - 52 G, .346/.379/.407, 0 HR, 22 RBI, 11BB/25K
The 18th Round pick from Missouri State University leads the Northwest League in Hits and is 3rd in Batting Average.
19. RJ Hively (23) RP (NWL) - 24 IP, 1-0, 8 Svs, 1.12 ERA, 0.917 WHIP, 8BB/22K
The 19th Round pick has 8 Saves for Yakima with a 1.12 ERA.
20. Jacob House (23) 1B/DH (NWL) - 24 G, .309/.346/.423, 1 HR, 10 RBI, 4BB/27K
Good batting average, but hasn't shown any plate discipline yet.
21. Rudy Flores (21) 1B (AZL/PIO) - 34 G, .314/.420/.430, 1 HR, 22 RBI, 19BB/33K
One of eight players on the Missoula roster with a batting average over .300.
30. Chase Stevens (21) RP (PIO) - 27 IP, 3-2, 2.67 ERA, 1.111 WHIP, 13BB/46K
The 30th Round pick from Oklahoma State University leads the Pioneer League with a strikeout rate of 15.3 K/9.
32. Daniel Watts (21) SP (NWL) - 65.2 IP, 4-4, 2.06 ERA, 1.127 WHIP, 14BB/41K
The 32nd Round pick from Jacksonville State University has only allowed 1 HR in 65.2 IP.
34. Jared Ray (23) SP (PIO) - 59.2 IP, 3-5, 3.32 ERA, 1.123 WHIP, 20BB/54K
The 34th Round pick from the University of Houston has an impressive 52.4% GB rate.
36. Andrew Barbosa (24) SP (PIO/MWL) - 62 IP, 3-3, 3.05 ERA, 1.371 WHIP, 29BB/71K
The 36th Round pick from the University of South Florida was promoted from Yakima to South Bend after four excellent starts in the Northwest League - 0.41 ERA, 28K in 22 IP.
37. Breland Almadova (21) OF (PIO) - 50 G, .307/.374/.417, 1 HR, 21 RBI, 19BB/30K
The 37th Round pick from the University of Hawaii has 9 SB in 11 attempts.
|Follow DV on Twitter||Buy DV D'Backs Tickets|