14 July 2011
The Diamondbacks' farm system has made great strides over the past year, especially in the pitching department. The Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson trades brought in exciting prospects such as Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and David Holmberg, while the recent June draft netted Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley. All five of these players now rank among the organization's Top 10 prospects, and the system as a whole should be among the Top 10 in all of baseball.
Here are my rankings of the team's Top 31 Prospects (Stats through July 13):
1. Trevor Bauer, RHP (20) - 13-2, 1.25 ERA, 203K/36BB in 136.2 IP at UCLA
#3 Overall Pick in 2011 Draft; Has 6 pitches, including mid-90s fastball and a hammer curve; Great stamina, with 10 straight complete games as a Junior; hard worker and a cerebral pitcher; Still unsigned, but should sign by August 15 deadline; Ranked as #12 prospect by Baseball America in their mid-season update.
2. Jarrod Parker, RHP (22) – AA Mobile: 8-6, 4.22 ERA, 69K/40BB in 81 IP
Back from Tommy John surgery, and throwing in the high 90s again; Command is not there yet, but still has the stuff to be a true ace. Team has limited him to a max of 5 IP per start so far; ranked as #49 prospect by Baseball America.
3. Tyler Skaggs, LHP (20) – High A Visalia: 5-5. 3.22 ERA, 125K/34BB in 100.2 IP
Just promoted to AA on his 20th birthday; led High A Cal League in Strikeouts at age 19 with 125K in 100 IP while walking only 34; Fastball peaks in the low 90s, which may limit his upside in comparison to Bauer and Parker. Ranked as #24 prospect by Baseball America.
4. Archie Bradley, RHP (18) – High School: 12-1, 0.38 ERA, 137K/11BB in 71.1 IP
#7 Overall Pick in 2011 Draft; A big and strong righthander (6-4, 220), he already throws his fastball in the high 90s and has an outstanding curve; Still unsigned, but should sign by August 15 deadline. Ranked as #24 prospect by Baseball America.
5. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B (23) – AA Mobile: .311/.432/.629, 26 HR, 81 RBI
Leads pitcher-friendly Southern League with 26 HR, 9 more than next player, 65BB and only 74K; has dominated at every level, but some scouts are still skeptical of his bat speed as he moves up; Ranked as #57 prospect by Baseball America.
6. Matt Davidson, 3B (20) – .280/.347/.450, 10 HR, 70 RBI
Has 797 OPS in California League despite being one of the youngest players; Ranks 4th in league with 68 RBI and 4th in Doubles, but also has 95K and just 33BB.
7. Patrick Corbin, LHP (21) – AA Mobile, 7-5, 3.87 ERA, 97K/21BB in 107 IP
Outstanding K/BB ratio of 4.62, second only to Matt Moore (Rays) in SL; 2nd in SL in strikeouts; Average velocity has increased to 92 mph, and peaking at 95-96; had a 27 inning scoreless streak.
8. David Holmberg, LHP (20) –Low A Midwest League: 8-3. 2.39 ERA, 81K/13BB in 83 IP
Dominated Midwest League and was promoted after 34 straight scoreless innings; began High A Visalia career with 18K/6BB in first 18.1 IP; fastball is only in low 90s, but has great secondary pitches and command.
9. Bobby Borchering, 3B/1B (20) – High A Visalia: .261/.316/.466, 16 HR, 63 RBI
Also one of youngest in the Cal League; 5th in league with 16 HR and 10th in RBI with 63; defense is suspect and has 107K/26BB in 348 AB, but tremendous power potential; switch-hitter.
10. A.J. Pollock, CF (23) – AA Mobile: .306/.357/.441, 5 HR, 54 RBI, 68R, 22/27 SB
Leads SL in Hits and 2nd in Runs Scored; good defensive player and can get on base, but will he have enough power?
11. Chris Owings, SS (19) – High A Visalia: .256/.288/.399, 7 HR, 31 RBI
Has good pop for a middle infielder, but 83K/11BB and 21 Errors in 72 Games; very young for the league, so has time to improve.
12. Collin Cowgill, OF (25) – AAA Reno: .355/.431/.558, 12 HR, 59 RBI, 85R, 26/29 SB
46BB/54K in Reno; great stats in PCL, but will they translate to the Majors? Has played lots of CF this year, but scouts unsure if he can play there in the Majors; many still view him as a 4th/Platoon outfielder.
13. Wade Miley, LHP (24) –AA Mobile: 4-2, 4.78 ERA, 46K/28BB in 75.1 IP
Just promoted to AAA Reno and is 2-0, 2.57 ERA with 9K/4BB in 14 IP; gets plenty of ground balls but only has 5.5K/9 and walks 3.2BB/9 for the year.
14. Marc Krauss, LF (23) – AA Mobile: .237/.330/.456, 12 HR, 38 RBI, 53R
Has not hit as well as hoped, and has 91K in 287 AB; has shown a good walk rate (40 BB) and good power with 35 XBH; a slow starter in the Arizona Fall League and the California League, where he hit 18 of 25 HR in the second half – can he rally again?
15. Ryan Cook, RHP (24) – 0-4, 12 Saves, 2.36 ERA, 49K/14BB in 42 IP
Shifted to bullpen in 2011 and has seen fastball jump to mid-90s; has not allowed a run in his last 7 appearances, and 15 out of his last 16; could be a possibility for a call-up.
16. Charles Brewer, RHP (23) – AA Mobile: 4-1, 3.03 ERA, 32K/9BB in 38.2 IP
Has great command but will his stuff be good enough for the Majors? Missed time with a broken hand.
17. Tyler Green, RHP (19) – Low A South Bend: 3-4, 4.91 ERA, 49K/31BB in 66 IP
8th Round Pick in 2010 draft has mid-90s fastball and excellent curve already; has been starting for South Bend, but some feel that his two strong pitches make him a bullpen candidate
18. Adam Eaton, OF (22) – High A/AA: .332/.452/.491, 7 HR, 51 RBI, 61R 25/35 SB
Getting on base at a tremendous rate, including 19 HBP; can he stick at CF defensively?
19. Ryan Wheeler, 3B (23) – AA Mobile: .304/.364/.478, 11 HR, 61 RBI
Nice comeback year after poor 2010; Defense might be good enough to stick at 3B.
20. Ty Linton, OF (20) – 6 for 14, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 1 BB, 2K
Linton had only played a few games for Rookie League Missoula before injuring his elbow in an outfield collision; still a very long way from the Majors.
21. Chase Anderson, RHP (23) – High A Visalia: 1-1, 5.40 ERA, 20K/1BB in 13.1 IP
Has outstanding K/BB ratio, but is old for the Cal League and is his stuff good enough for the Majors? Out with an elbow injury.
22. Kam Mickolio, RHP (27) – AAA Reno: 0-2, 4 Saves, 3.92 ERA, 41K/16BB in 39 IP
While with the Diamondbacks, his fastball only averaged 91.8 mph after an average of 94.9 two years ago; in AAA, has held opponents scoreless in 13 out of 16 appearances; may be back in the Majors soon.
23. Andrew Chafin, LHP (21) – 8-1, 2.02 ERA, 105K/23BB in 89 IP at Kent State Univ.
#43 Overall Pick in 2011 draft; missed 2010 Season with Tommy John surgery, but came back and threw in the mid-90s; Has a plus slider and is working on a change-up; still unsigned.
24. Patrick Schuster, LHP (20) – Low A South Bend: 6-3, 3.17 ERA, 61K/28BB in 88 IP
Has had decent results, but a few more strikeouts would be nice; has been pitching out of the bullpen for the last three outings, after making 13 starts.
25. Konrad Schmidt, C (26) – AAA Reno: .310/.355/.496, 5 HR, 28 RBI, 35R
Schmidt’s .851 OPS is actually below average for Reno, which has a.925 OPS as a team; not much star potential, but could be a useful backup catcher in the Majors.
26. Zachary Walters, SS (21) – Low A South Bend: .305/.383/.394, 8 HR, 49 RBI, 60R, 10/17 SB
Ranks 2nd in the Midwest League in Runs Scored and is 3rd in Hits; 85K in 308 AB is a lot for a middle infielder without much power.
27. David Nick, 2B (21) - .290/.339/.414, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 62 R
Has regained some prospect status after an .684 OPS in 2010, but that could be the result of a better park; is not considered a great defender, so he really needs to hit.
28. Wagner Mateo, CF (18) – Rookie League: .167/.276/.273, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 9 R
Another very raw talent, with 32K in his first 66 AB, but has great bat speed.
29. J.R. Bradley, RHP (19) – Low A South Bend: 3-12, 5.10 ERA, 55K/32BB in 90 IP
Last year’s 2nd Round pick hasn’t had good results yet, but the team still likes his potential as he fills out.
30. Justin Bianco, CF (18) – Rookie Missoula: .208/.247/.312, 1 HR, 6 RBI
This year’s 3rd round pick signed quickly and has already played 19 games in the Pioneer League; has 31K/4BB in his first 77 AB.
31. Yazy Arbelo, 1B (23) – Low A South Bend: .240/.357/.527, 21 HR, 67 RBI
Leads Midwest League in HR and RBI, but also has 103K in 300 AB.
Twenty More Players of note: RHP Anthony Meo (21), RHP Matt Price (21), RHP Bryan Shaw (23), RHP Wes Roemer (24), RHP Robby Rowland (19), RHP Yiomar Camacho (21), RHP Jeffrey Shields (21), RHP Blake Perry (19), RHP Yonata Ortega (24), RHP Jeremy Erben (23), RHP Kevin Munson (22), LHP Daniel Taylor (23), LHP Eury De La Rosa (21), C Raywilly Gomez (21), C Ed Easley (25), SS Taylor Harbin (25), SS Raul Navarro (19), OF Keon Broxton (21), OF Socrates Brito (18), OF Ben Roberts (18).